Thursday, August 15, 2013

Some of My Favorite Things-Beauty and More

I bet I caught your attention with the soulful brown eyed cutie in my title picture, didn't I?  Well, more about him later.  Let's talk about some of the beauty products I have been loving and using for the past month or so.
My first love is this fabulous nail polish called On a Trip from the Megalast line by Wet n Wild.  I really do love these nail polishes.  They are super affordable and have very fashion forward colors.  When used with the Seche Vite topcoat, I can easily get almost two weeks of wear out of my manicure.  This shade is just a beautiful mix of purple and blue.
The Expert Sensitive Gentle Refreshing Toner by Boots quickly became a favorite of mine.  Toners usually have a reputation for being harsh and stinging the skin.  This is one is completely different.  The formula is as gentle as water yet it removes any leftover dirt and makeup from the skin.  It is so gentle, you can even use it on your eyes with no irritation...seriously!  For days when chemo has gotten the best of me and I just don't feel well, cleansing with a makeup wipe and then using this toner help keep my skin in shape.  You can only purchase the Boots line at Target here in the states.  This product seems to be catching on because many times when I shop at Target, this toner is not in stock.  I have started buying it in twos so I don't run out.
Bath & Body Works had their huge half yearly sale last month in July and I indulged (a few times).  I had forgotten how much I enjoy the Cherry Blossom scent from B&BW until I saw the entire line during the sale. Cherry Blossom is a very romantic, powdery, soft floral scent.  I seem to get compliments whenever I wear it and it is light enough that it doesn't bother other chemo patients which is important when you are having treatment.  I like to layer for the most fragrance punch so I treated myself to the Creamy Body Wash, Triple Moisture Body Cream and Body Spray.   I much prefer the creamy formulas of body wash and lotion to Bath & Body Work's gel body wash and standard lotion.  The creamy formulas are so much more moisturizing for summer dry skin.
My next favorite is a nifty little palette from e.l.f. that I found at Target for under five dollars!  Such a deal! This is the Beach Beauty book type palette that includes eye shadows, lip glosses, blush, bronzer and highlighter.  You can do a complete makeup look with this one palette.  The e.l.f. line is a collection of really affordable products that are found at Target or on their website at http://www.eyeslipsface.com/.  My only suggestion is to use a shadow primer with the eye shadows.  The shadows in this palette are a nice mix of colors and you can create countless looks.
Now, let's talk about a beauty UNfavorite.  I was very excited to try this product.  I had heard other people raving about it and when I opened the bottle at Ulta and sniffed, it smelled like a tropical vacation.  I am talking about the Hawaiian Tropic Shimmer Effect After Sun Moisturizer in Coconut Papaya.
This is meant to be an after sun lotion that helps moisturize the skin and leaves a light shimmer.  I can say that it smelled delicious in the store but once the lotion hit the air and my skin, it stunk like chemicals.  It had a rather plastic smell and last time I checked, coconuts and papayas don't smell like plastic.  As for moisturizing, it was no better than any other cheap, drugstore body lotion.  I was highly disappointed and it is sitting, lonely, under my bathroom sink.  I will probably end up just tossing it out which really does not make me happy.  Two BIG thumbs down.

Now on to happy things.  Yes, I am talking about the brown eyed lovey in the picture above.  Please meet  Georgie.  Georgie is the newest addition to our family and he is a purebred Yorkshire Terrier.  Georgie is a rescue pup adopted from the Yorkshire Terrier National Rescue.  

One day I was checking out Facebook like I normally do and I came across a picture of the sweetest little Yorkie I had ever seen.  His big brown eyes were so expressive and I could tell he was scared and just needed some love.  Turns out, Georgie was up for adoption and he was close to our home!  I quickly filled out the online application but was worried that I wouldn't hear anything back.  Much to my surprise, I was called the next day by Georgie's sweet foster mom.  She told me all about this little dog and we decided he would be a perfect fit for our family.  After that, things moved quickly.  My husband and I went to visit Georgie at his foster mom's house and we both fell in love with him.  A few days later, Georgie was brought to our house and we had a home inspection to make sure we had suitable conditions and a secure back yard.  Georgie had found his forever home!

We already have a one year old Yorkie named, Rigby and he and Georgie get along great.  Rigby is thrilled to have a new playmate.  I love having both dogs and refer to them as "the boys".  Adopting a rescue was the perfect fit for our family.  I wanted another dog, but I really don't have the energy for a puppy and all the work of potty training.  Georgie is a really mellow dog who loves nothing more than sitting on the couch with me or napping on the bed with me when I don't feel good.  I love him.

If you are thinking about getting a dog, please consider finding a rescue group for the breed you are interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment