Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chemo Cravings: Blueberry Protein Smoothie

After I have a chemo infusion, I can expect some stomach upset and usually some heartburn.  During these times, I need foods that are easy on my system yet still nutritious.  Oh, did I mention the mouth soreness?  My gums do get sore and I sometimes feel like I have lumps in my throat.  Nice, huh?  This soreness usually only lasts a couple of days and I use the "Magic Mouthwash" given by my doctor a few times a day.  Even so...hot, crunchy and bumpy foods do not always go down well.

A protein smoothie is a good alternative for breakfast or as a mid-day snack when chemo side effects make it hard to eat your normal meals.  I normally love "green" smoothies were the green comes from a good wad of fresh spinach but honestly, the thought of raw spinach makes my toes curl when on chemo.  My favorite smoothie has a scoop of protein powder, almond milk, nonfat Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.  I use plain Greek yogurt because the fruit varieties have a TON of sugar in them.  I usually stick to fruits like blueberries or strawberries and stay away from more acidic ones like pineapple.

Now, let me tell you about this awesome new Ninja blender I just purchased.  I will be honest,  I do not have a lot of fancy kitchen gadgets.  You won't find a Kitchen Aid mixer or a Cuisinart food processor in my kitchen arsenal.  Would I like to have them?  Sure I would but I have found I can still cook and get great results without them.  I was so excited when I found this really affordable Ninja blender as a Today's Special Value on QVC.  It works beautifully and doubles as a powerful blender and food processor.  I can do everything from smoothies to pesto in this red beauty!  Click here---> Ninja Storm if you are interested in getting one.
Blueberry Protein Smoothie
(makes 1 serving)

1/3 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 cup frozen blueberries
Ice

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.  Add ice cubes and blend until desired constancy.  If a thinner milkshake is desired, add more almond milk.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Beth, my mom has been having stomach troubles lately, and she need some protein in her diet as well! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny!

    I hope you try it and your mom enjoys it.

    ((hugs)) Beth

    ReplyDelete